come out/up smelling like/of rosesidiom
Definition of come out/up smelling like/of roses
: to have success or good fortune in a situation in which one was likely to fail, be harmed, etc. The scandal forced several board members to resign, but the chairman came out smelling like roses.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?