come out/up smelling like/of rosesidiom
Definition of come out/up smelling like/of roses
: to have success or good fortune in a situation in which one was likely to fail, be harmed, etc. The scandal forced several board members to resign, but the chairman came out smelling like roses.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?