come down onphrasal verb
came down on; come down on; coming down on; comes down on
Definition of come down on
1 : to criticize or punish (someone) The governor has promised to come down hard on corrupt officials. Her boss came down on her pretty hard when she didn't finish the report on time.
2 : to make a strong effort to stop or oppose (something) The governor has promised to come down hard on corruption.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game