Definition of combination square
: a measuring tool consisting of a steel rule that slides through an adjustable protractor head or level or a center head which can be fixed at any point on the rule by a lock bolt and being usable as an inside or outside try square, a marking or depth gauge, level, miter square, plumb, and straightedge
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game