co·lum·bi·ad | \ kəˈləmbēˌad \
Definition of columbiad
1 capitalized : any of certain epics recounting the beginning and growth of the U.S. also : any epic with similar subject matter
2 : an obsolete heavy long-chambered muzzle-loading gun that is very thick behind the trunnions and designed for throwing shells and shot at high angles of elevation
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game