Definition of cold case
: an unsolved criminal investigation (as of a homicide or abduction) that has stopped being actively pursued because of a lack of evidence The case is pursued diligently by various detectives, but eventually abandoned and filed away among other cold cases.— Jonathan Yardley, The Washington Post, 9 Feb. 2014
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game