Definition of cobalt violet
1 : any of several purple pigments containing a compound of cobalt (as cobalt phosphate)
2 : a moderate purple that is redder and duller than heliotrope (see heliotrope sense 4a), redder, lighter, and stronger than average amethyst, redder and less strong than manganese violet, redder and deeper than average lilac (see lilac sense 3a), and redder and stronger than mignon
— called also thistle
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game