Definition of cobalt violet
1 : any of several purple pigments containing a compound of cobalt (as cobalt phosphate)
2 : a moderate purple that is redder and duller than heliotrope (see heliotrope sense 4a), redder, lighter, and stronger than average amethyst, redder and less strong than manganese violet, redder and deeper than average lilac (see lilac sense 3a), and redder and stronger than mignon
— called also thistle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game