close, but no cigaridiom
variants: or close but no cigar
Definition of close, but no cigar
—used to say that a guess was almost correct or that an effort was almost sufficient Quick: What country jails the most journalists? If you guessed China, you were close, but no cigar.— Dexter FilkinsIt was close but no cigar for Cincinnati as they fell 13-16 to Pittsburgh. — CBSSports.com"… on Friday, it was close but no cigar for the Dow hitting 18,000. In fact, it got within 10 points of hitting that psychological milestone. …"— Alison KosikThen last year I reviewed a new, much smaller … headphone, … and while it was awfully good, it wasn't in the league of those aforementioned very best full-size headphones. Close, but no cigar.— Steve Guttenberg
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?