close up shopidiom
Definition of close up shop
: to go out of business forever or stop performing all services or activities for a period of time Rather than closing up shop entirely, the company laid off half of its workers. The restaurant has already closed up shop for the winter.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game