Definition of close to
1 : almost or nearly They spent close to half a million dollars on the project. Our company employs close to a thousand workers. I haven't seen her in close to a year.
2 British : from a short distance : close up She's even more beautiful when seen close to.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game