Definition of close to
1 : almost or nearly They spent close to half a million dollars on the project. Our company employs close to a thousand workers. I haven't seen her in close to a year.
2 British : from a short distance : close up She's even more beautiful when seen close to.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?