close onidiom (1)
Definition of close on
(Entry 1 of 2)
: almost or nearly : close to We walked for close on five miles.
close onidiom (2)
Definition of close on (Entry 2 of 2)
: to formally and legally agree to and complete (an important financial arrangement, such as the purchase of a house) We're going to close on our house next Friday. They closed on the deal.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game