close by (someone or something)idiom
Definition of close by (someone or something)
: at a short distance away from (someone or something) Don't worry: if anything happens I'll be (standing) close by you. The accident happened close by our house.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game