clip·pe·ty-clop | \ ¦klipetē¦kläp\
Definition of clippety-clop
: a rhythmic usually repeated sound resembling a clip-clop but having one or two more beats in its basic rhythm the clippety-clop of the horse and hansom cab going by
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?