cle·ruch | \ ˈkliˌrük, -lēˌr-, -rək\
Definition of cleruch
: a citizen of ancient Greece who received an allotment of land in a conquered country and usually migrated to it without loss of citizenship
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game