cleave tophrasal verb
cleaved to; cleaved to; cleaving to; cleaves to
Definition of cleave to
formal + literary
1 : to stay very close to (someone) children cleaving to their families
2 : to stick closely to (something) —usually used figuratively He continued to cleave to the beliefs of his childhood.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?