classical swine fevernoun
variants: or classic swine fever
Definition of classical swine fever
: hog cholera … classical swine fever breaks out in Europe regularly; in 1997 it forced Dutch authorities to massacre almost 10 million pigs.— Martin Enserink, Science, 23 Mar. 2001 The two biggest animal health concerns are mad cow disease and classic swine fever, also known as hog cholera. — State Journal-Register (Springfield, Illinois), 29 Jan. 2009
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game