classical swine fevernoun
variants: or classic swine fever
Definition of classical swine fever
: hog cholera … classical swine fever breaks out in Europe regularly; in 1997 it forced Dutch authorities to massacre almost 10 million pigs.— Martin Enserink, Science, 23 Mar. 2001 The two biggest animal health concerns are mad cow disease and classic swine fever, also known as hog cholera. — State Journal-Register (Springfield, Illinois), 29 Jan. 2009
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game