clamp onphrasal verb
clamped on; clamping on; clamps on
Definition of clamp on
: to officially set (a limit, rule, punishment, etc.) for (someone or something) The mayor clamped a curfew on the area after the riots. The new law clamps limits on the amount of money candidates can spend on election campaigns.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game