clamp down onphrasal verb
clamped down on; clamping down on; clamps down on
Definition of clamp down on
1 : to try harder to punish (people who are doing something that is not legal or proper) Customs officials are clamping down on smugglers. The school should clamp down on students who cut classes.
2 : to work harder to stop (a crime) The state is clamping down on drug trafficking.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game