clamp down onphrasal verb
clamped down on; clamping down on; clamps down on
Definition of clamp down on
1 : to try harder to punish (people who are doing something that is not legal or proper) Customs officials are clamping down on smugglers. The school should clamp down on students who cut classes.
2 : to work harder to stop (a crime) The state is clamping down on drug trafficking.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game