variants: or clamp cell or less commonly clamp
Definition of clamp connection
: a bulgelike hyphal outgrowth in many basidiomycetous fungi that is formed at cell division over the cross wall between the two daughter cells and provides a connection through which one of the involved nuclei may pass in order to maintain the binucleate state of the resulting cells
— called also buckle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?