chro·mot·ro·pism | \ krōˈmä‧trəˌpizəm\
variants: or less commonly chromotropy \ -pē \
plural chromotropisms also chromotropies
Definition of chromotropism
1 : change of color especially of certain salts known in differently colored modifications — compare chromoisomerism
2 : the orientation of living organisms in relation to color stimuli — compare tropism
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game