Definition of chrome orange
1 : any of several pigments varying from reddish yellow to deep orange and consisting essentially of varying proportions of normal and basic lead chromates that are usually prepared similarly to chrome yellows
2 : any of several mordant acid dyes
3 : a vivid reddish orange that is yellower, less strong, and much lighter than international orange and duller and slightly yellower than golden poppy
— called also orange chrome yellow
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game