Definition of chrome alum
: an alum in which chromium is the trivalent metal especially : potassium chromium sulfate KCr(SO4)2.12H2O obtained as dark purple crystals by treating potassium dichromate with sulfur dioxide and used in tanning, as a mordant, and as a hardening agent for gelatin in photography
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game