chop downphrasal verb
chopped down; chopping down; chops down
Definition of chop down
: to cut (a tree, bush, etc.) at the bottom so that it falls to the ground He chopped the tree down. She chopped down some thick grape vines.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game