cho·li·amb | \ ˈkōlēˌam(b)\
variants: or choliambus \ ˌkōlēˈambəs \
plural choliambs\ -ˌamz \ or choliambi\ -ˈamˌbī , -(ˌ)bē \
Definition of choliamb
: a quantitative iambic trimeter verse of six feet having a spondee or trochee in the last foot
— called also scazon
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game