choke upphrasal verb
choked up; choking up; chokes up
Definition of choke up
1 : to have trouble talking because of crying or strong emotion He chokes up whenever he tries to talk about the accident.
2 baseball : to move one's hands to a higher position on a baseball bat —often + on He choked up on the bat and took a short swing.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game