chi·ri·pa | \ ¦chirə¦pä\
Definition of chiripa
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a man's woolen garment rectangular in shape, usually tucked in at the belt and wrapped in various ways around the hips and thighs, and worn by gauchos and Indians in southern South America
Chi·ri·pá | \ "\
plural Chiripá or Chiripás
Definition of Chiripá (Entry 2 of 2)
: a significant subdivision of the Cayuá people of Brazil and Paraguay
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game