variants: or chinkapin
Definition of chinquapin
1 : the edible nut of a chinquapin
2 : any of several trees (genera Castanea and Castanopsis) especially : a dwarf chestnut (Castanea pumila) of the U.S.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game