Definition of chicken hawk
1 : a hawk that preys or is believed to prey on chickens
2 disparaging : a person who strongly supports or promotes a war or warlike policies but who has never served in the military His strong ties to the military and his reluctance to use force … made him an ideal man for the job, and his battle wounds from Vietnam gave him the moral authority to answer the chicken hawks who opposed the contraction of the military.— Dana Milbank
3 slang : a man who pursues boys or young men for sexual purposes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?