Definition of Chicago
1 river in Chicago, Illinois, having a northern branch and a southern branch and originally flowing east into Lake Michigan but now flowing south through the southern branch and Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal into the Des Plaines River
2 city and port on Lake Michigan in northeastern Illinois population 2,695,598
Note: Chicago is by far the most populous city in Illinois.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game