Definition of chestnut soil
: any of an agriculturally important group of zonal soils typically having a dark-brown surface horizon that grades downward into a lighter zone and then into a horizon of lime accumulation and being characteristic of certain cool semiarid grasslands and steppes (as in the northern U.S. prairie states)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game