cher·vo·nets | \ chərˈvȯnə̇ts\
variants: or chervonetz or tchervonets or tchervonetz
plural chervontsi or chervontzi or tchervontsi or tchervontzi\ -ntsē \
Definition of chervonets
1 : the gold 10-ruble coin of Soviet Russia authorized by decree in 1922 and first struck in 1923
2 : a unit of value equivalent to one gold chervonets designated by law of 1924 as the basic monetary unit of the U.S.S.R. but never such in practice
3 : a currency note representing one chervonets
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game