check overphrasal verb
checked over; checking over; checks over
Definition of check over
: to look at (something or someone) in a careful way to find problems, mistakes, etc. checking the new cars over The doctors checked him over for bruises. Be sure to check over each item on the list for any mistakes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?