chat upphrasal verb
chatted up; chatting up; chats up
Definition of chat up
: to talk informally with (someone, such as someone one is attracted to) He tried to chat up a girl at the dance.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game