Definition of charcoal rot
: a disease of plants that is common in the southern U.S. and destructive to sweet and white potatoes and to corn and is caused by a fungus (Macrophomina phaseoli) which attacks the lower stem and roots destroying much of the tissues and forming myriads of tiny black sclerotia on what remains
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?