variants: or less commonly chalkone \ ˈkalˌkōn \
Definition of chalcone
: a yellow crystalline ketone C6H5CHCHCOC6H5 made by the condensation of benzaldehyde and acetophenone also : any of various derivatives of this compound, several of which are plant pigments related to the flavones
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game