variants: or chalcid wasp
Definition of chalcid fly
: a usually minute insect of a large superfamily (Chalcidoidea) of Hymenoptera, a few being gall wasps or seed infesters but most being in their larval state parasitic on the eggs, larvae, or pupae of other insects, some living within and others upon the bodies of their hosts, feeding on their juices and tissues — see clover seed chalcid
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game