Definition of chairwarmer
a : a person (as one not registered as a guest) who sits for prolonged periods in hotel lobbies
b : an employee (as one in a sedentary occupation) who is superfluous or who makes little effort to apply himself to his work the seniority rule … discourages ability and efficiency, and encourages the chairwarmer— S. T. Williamson and Herbert Harris
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game