Definition of cervid
: any of a family (Cervidae, the deer family) of ruminant artiodactyl mammals (such as the elk, moose, or white-tailed deer) that have solid deciduous antlers borne only by males except for the caribou in which both males and females bear antlers : deer sense 1 Antler growth in elk, as in all cervids, originates from a pedicel in the skull.— Mark Lapinski et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game