Definition of cervid
: any of a family (Cervidae, the deer family) of ruminant artiodactyl mammals (such as the elk, moose, or white-tailed deer) that have solid deciduous antlers borne only by males except for the caribou in which both males and females bear antlers : deer sense 1 Antler growth in elk, as in all cervids, originates from a pedicel in the skull.— Mark Lapinski et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game