Definition of center-of-mass system
1 : a system of polar coordinates used in describing processes involving moving swarms of particles (as cosmic-ray bursts) with the moving common center of mass as origin and the path of that center as polar axis
2 : a frame of reference in which the center of mass is at rest
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game