variants: or less commonly celly
Definition of cellie
1 : cellmate On the third day, guards put a jumbo-sized prisoner into Turner's cell. Turner, who claimed to be a protective-custody case, protested. He got the worst of the ensuing fight with his cellie, who was soon removed.— Alan Prendergast, Denver Westword, 26 June 2003
2 : cell phone As Venus dials her dad on her cellie, LaVar gives Richard Williams a shout-out: “Tell him I said, ‘Peace.’”— Anne Marie Cruz, ESPN, 15 May 2000 Next time you talk on your celly, keep it brief …— Greg Bishop, VIBE, August 1997
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game