celestial mechanicsnoun plural but singular or plural in construction
Definition of celestial mechanics
: the application of the methods of analytic mechanics to the determination of the motions of the celestial bodies under the action of gravitation
— called also gravitational astronomy
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game