Definition of celery fly
1 : a small brown-winged green-eyed European fly (Trypeta, or Acidia, heraclei) whose larvae are leaf miners in celery, parsnips, and uncultivated related plants
2 : an Australian agromyzid fly whose larvae mine celery stalks
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?