catch (someone or something) by surpriseidiom
Definition of catch (someone or something) by surprise
1 : to happen to (someone or something) unexpectedly : to surprise (someone or something) The question caught him by surprise.
2 : to attack, capture, or approach (someone or something) without warning Photographers caught the couple by surprise as they were leaving a restaurant.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game