variants: or catclaw \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗ \
plural cat's-claws or catclaws
Definition of cat's-claw
1a : a climbing shrub (Doxantha unguis-cati) with hooked tendrils
b : an erect shrub (Pithecolobium unguis-cati) with curved pointed pods and black shining seeds
2 : any of several prickly shrubs (as Acacia greggii or Mimosa biuncifera)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?