Definition of carvery
: a buffet or restaurant offering cooked meat that is carved as requested … caterers can save money by … buying a whole gammon to furnish steaks for the Sunday carvery …— Angela Frewin, Caterer & Hotelkeeper, 7 Sept. 2012 The carvery offers a choice of four mouthwatering meats—beef, pork, gammon or turkey—and a good choice of potatoes, including mash. — Hull Daily Mail, 18 Feb. 2011 also : the meat that is served at a carvery All the vegetables that are served with the carvery are cooked from fresh seasonal produce. — Oliver Astley, Derby Evening Telegraph, 22 Apr. 2005
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game