variants: or carthamus rose
Definition of carthamus red
: a vivid red that is yellower, lighter, and slightly stronger than apple red, yellower, lighter, and stronger than carmine, and lighter, stronger, and slightly bluer than scarlet
— called also artillery, leaf red, Lincoln red, Portuguese red, rose Carthame, rouge vegetal, safflor, safflower red, vegetable red, vegetable rouge
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game