Definition of carry weight
: to be important or meaningful especially in influencing others He was considered a man of solid judgment, and his opinion upon all matters, private and public, carried weight.— Edward Bulwer-Lytton Her opinion carries a lot of weight with us, and we often seek out her advice before making any important decision. Your promises would carry more weight [=be more meaningful] if you didn't break them so often.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game