carry more weightidiom (1)
Definition of carry more weight
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to be more meaningful Your promises would carry more weight if you didn't break them so often.
carry the weight of the world on one's shouldersidiom (2)
Definition of carry the weight of the world on one's shoulders (Entry 2 of 2)
: to feel much pressure because one has great responsibilities
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game