car·roc·cio | \ kəˈrȯ(ˌ)chō, -ȯchēˌō\
plural carrocci\ -ȯ(ˌ)chē \
Definition of carroccio
: a large wheeled vehicle bearing a standard and used in medieval times especially by Italian free cities to serve as a rallying point for an army in battle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game