variants: or carpenter scene
Definition of carpenter's scene
: a scene played on the forepart of the stage to give the stage carpenters opportunity to construct a scene behind the backdrop
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game